Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Still Waiting

It's been  almost three months since my last update and I must say that there is a good (or bad depending on how you look at it) reason for it.  Since November things have progressed at a rate that even I don't believe.  The doctor that I saw told me that the reason for the speed is probably due to rebound effect from being on/off/on/off the medication. I guess I understand that, and I can guarantee that if I can help it, once I get back on the medicine I am not going off!

I don't want to drag this post out so we will go with the short version of the story. Mid-Nov I sprained my right knee and wound up in a brace for a while. During Christmas time I developed problems in my right hand and wrist that now keep me from  being able to do anything with it.  I'm not sure if it was all the crocheting I did for presents or just the natural progression of my arthritis.  Either way, I am one handed now.  My index finger on this hand is in the same shape as my middle finger on the left hand that I've mentioned in previous posts. After we finished shopping for our son, I made myself stay home for several days before Christmas so that I was able to get out and head over to the in-law's for dinner.  That actually went pretty well.  Once we got home I was not much feeling like going out anymore so I was back to camping on the couch, until one day...

January 6 I was scheduled for another doctor's appointment, however, on the way out the door my very helpful husband and I made a misstep and ended up falling off of the porch together.  Well, he fell on top of me but quickly rolled off so he didn't hurt me worse.  Luckily nothing was broken except my pride and self-esteem.  However, I did hit my head on the sidewalk and jar every bone in my already aching body.  Needless to say, I missed my appointment.  The next day I was so sore that I opted to stay in bed all day.  What I found out by doing this was that I actually felt a bit better in my bed than I did on the couch because I was able to move around more freely than being stuck in one position.  So, that's where I've been camping ever since.  I can sit up, lie down, stretch, prop up my legs or not, I can get as comfy as I want.  I don't often sit up for long because it makes my legs ache something terrible, and as for getting up...I get to the bathroom alright, with a lot of help from hubby most of the time, and a lot of screaming/crying from pain ALL the time.

So whatever happened to the clinic getting my shots for me? I've gotten so much run-around that I don't really even know right now.  I've been told everything from "your medicine was ordered Nov. 19, it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get here and should be in any time now"... to just last week I heard "sorry, I don't have a prescription for your medicine from one of our doctor's...it appears the prescription you have is from an outside doctor and we can't accept it, so I'll leave your chart with the doc and see if she'll write a 'scrip for you but she won't be in until Feb 3, so we'll let you know.  Sorry, even if I had a whole case of the med here I couldn't give it to you."  This is the point where I want to tear my hear out by the roots and start throwing things around the room!!!  I just want to get better, but it doesn't seem anyone else desires the same, except for hubby who would manufacture the shots himself if he could, I know he would.

For now I'm just taking my Ibuprofen, for lack of a better prescription, still crying a lot, and pushing myself to do as much as I can without killing over.  I managed to take a whole shower standing up tonight, without my shower chair; something  I haven't done in  two months...one small victory at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment