Thursday, May 19, 2011

Exercise: Empowering or Over-doing ?

  If you suffer from psoriatic arthritis, then you know where this post is going today.  Exercise is recommended to all arthritis patients because it helps keep joints moving, builds muscle, and fights fatigue.  Those all sound like exactly the prescription we are looking for, right?  The problem with exercise, for me personally, is that I tend to feel worse after it than before it.  Most of us are familiar with the pain we feel when we haven't worked out for a while and then start a new regimen; how would you like to feel that way everyday? That's pretty much what happens when I try to workout.
     When I am on my proper medication and can actually move about, I adore going to the gym and keeping track of the results of my hard work.  Times like now, however, when I have been off of the medication for over a year, I have no desire whatsoever to go anywhere near a gym.  The mere thought sends shivers down my spine.  Sure I have good days where a workout would be okay, I could do it.  If I did, I would probably not get out of my bed for the rest of the week.  That is how sore I would be.  My joints would hate me and my body would want to commit mutiny.
   At any rate, I shall not allow myself to sit around and become a vegetable.  This weekend my husband and I are going with my son to his first "marathon"...it is actually a run for little tots that is about a total of 3 blocks long.  While it isn't a huge distance, I know I shall be exhausted after; however, I want my son to know that Mommy is there for him and that I am not going to let this disease keep me down!
     What type of exercise do you do and does it help or hurt? While I realize that exercise can be very empowering, for those in our situation it can be drastically over-doing it at times, even when you only do the most minor things.

No comments:

Post a Comment