Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sunshine

Do you enjoy being out in the sunshine?  When I was first diagnosed with psoriasis, I was actually told that part of my prescription was to go outside and spend half an hour in the sun, EVERY DAY! I thought she was a little bit nutty.  To top it off, she wanted me to do this every day at high noon!   At the time, she couldn't, or at least didn't, explain why it worked, she just said that it was often very helpful.  I knew that from personal experience.   Since then, many studies have been done that indicate how well vitamin D works to help clear psoriasis outbreaks.  There are even topical prescription ointments that contain it.  For many people it works wonders. One of the best ways to get it, is to have it naturally produced by your body, and this means spending time out in the sun. 

Sunshine, like all things, must be taken in moderation.  I am not a good example of this.  I had "the most scathingly brilliant idea" (Haley Mills as Mary Clancy in "The Trouble with Angels") today, that I would take my son to the park. It was a nice, beautiful and sunny day, he had a good morning at preschool and it seemed like a great idea.  Dad opted not to join us since he hasn't been feeling well the past few days, so we called up our playtime buddy, Great Aunt Kathy (Dad's aunt).  Even though she is almost 60 years old,  she always enjoys spending time with my little guy, and often has way more energy than I do! 

We enjoyed a quick lunch at home and then headed off to the park.  The sun was beautiful, but a bit hot if you sat too long in one place.  We played in the dirt, I took some lovely photos of him playing,  and then we moved over to the "sandbox".  It's really not a box, just a sand-filled area near a small stream.  Anyway, he enjoys playing in the sand with his beach tools, and he was having so much fun that Mom decided she wanted to make him  REALLY smile.  I handed my glasses to Aunt Kathy, filled up his bucket with sand, then handed it to him with the explicit instructions that "you can only do this when Mom says it's okay"...and then I allowed my 3.5 year old son to pour his entire bucket of sand on my head!  I was sitting on the ground,  he was standing, so I was just as his level.  I really wish we had gotten photos of this, as I do not think I have ever seen any bigger shock on a little boy's face than when his Mom says it is okay to pour sand on her, nor any brighter of a smile when he sees her completely covered with the stuff. :)  I also wish I could have gotten a photo of the surprise on Aunt Kathy's face! That was definitely the last thing she expected me to do. 

You may be asking yourself at this point, why on Earth I've bothered to tell you about my day at the park.  Well, if you remember, we started out talking about sunshine and vitamin D.  This is how I choose to get mine!  Being out in the sun has always been a good thing for me.  It helps to clear up my psoriasis, and gives me a nice tan to boot.  But, like I said before, it must be done in moderation.  There is always the immediate risk of burning, and of course, the long-term risks of skin cancer.  The main point of this post however, was to show you that it's okay to go out and enjoy life instead of sitting home and worrying about your psoriasis or what people think of it.  Most importantly, don't forget to take time to enjoy the moments that are too few and fleeting :)

5 comments:

  1. Sunshine and vitamin D can be useful in psoriasis, its a good news. Thanks for such wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add a silica bath to your sunbathing. Check the site. There is no such thing as one universal cure, everybody is different, and if you still have problems with other treatments – try silica bath http://www.silivingwater.com/pages-psoriasis !
      Give it a try and you thank me later! #psoriasis

      Delete
  2. My husband has psoriasis and during summer his skin is always much better, sunlight helps to improve his condition too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, there is another treatment – natural one – available in North America, product of a Canadian company that has a shorter period for treatment – just 2 weeks and the result is there. Awesome results!
    Had that problem for years, going from doctor to doctor. My friend advised me to check the site http://www.silivingwater.com/products.html
    And I can’t stop bragging about my success! So easy! Affordable! You see those plaques disappearing right in front of your eyes!
    Check the site. There is no such thing as one universal cure, everybody is different, and if you still have problems with other treatments – try silica bath http://www.silivingwater.com/pages-psoriasis !
    Give it a try and you thank me later! #psoriasis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Psoriasis made my life hell. I can understand and sympathize with you. Recently I read about indigo naturalis and used a psoriasis skin balm with indigo naturalis as its main ingredient. Its more than 2 months now and I am happy with the results and it has not recurred yet. You can find it at http://www.indigo-botanicals.com. Check it out and let others know so that they too can be rid of this condition.

    ReplyDelete