Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Figuring Me Out

In my previous post, I made a resolution: to lose weight by exercising with only the videos/games I have at home for my Wii and Xbox Kinect systems.  Unfortunately, I have discovered that , through no fault of the videos, I lack the will power needed to maintain the regimen I need to pursue such an endeavor.  KUDOS to any of you that do have it !  Will power is a huge thing for me--if it were not, I would not be in this drastic situation where I need to lose 100+ lbs just to be healthy!

So...please never think of me as a quitter! That is NOT what I am, nor what I am doing.  I will continue to use my games to enhance my other activities, and besides, some of them, like Zumba are just downright fun. :)

In the end, however, my husband offered me a late Christmas present---a gym membership! I know, I know, I said that we couldn't afford it.  I made a mistake.  It completely slipped my mind that a brand new gym just recently opened here.  Planet Fitness is a Biggest Loser partner.  They have a "judgement free" policy that allows anyone of any shape, size, or fitness level to come workout with out fear of being judged by others.  They also offered unlimited fitness training and a plan that anyone can afford: only $10 per month ! 

How sad is it that many obese people will not go to a gym because they are so afraid of the opinions of others who are there watching them?  What's worse is the people who are watching them!!  They should not be forming negative opinions, but should instead be encouraging and motivating them to keep coming back to that gym!  What's better for a person who's 100+ lbs overweight--to be hitting the gym everyday and burning calories, or to be sitting at home in total fear that some skinny person at the gym will laugh at them and make them feel more worthless than they already do? I pray that none of my friends would be that mean-spirited.

I would just like to say that I am sorry I will be unable to do my initial program idea, but I will still continue to blog about my progress and how it affects my arthritis as I take the weight off for good.  I hope you will be faithful to walk by me and offer that encouragement and motivation, because I really need it.  I am not a quitter, I just have to find what works for me.

Love,
Carla

1 comment:

  1. I highly recommend getting an acceptability partner. Not just someone you email or FB with but someone that you actually meet at the gym or who comes over to do your games with you. This can't be someone that needs to lose just as much weight as you or someone who struggles with willpower - this needs to be someone who is slighter better at willpower than you are!

    I've seen it too many times - people pick their spouse or best friend and before you know they aren't partners in working out they are partners in avoiding the workout. Because they dodge it together they don't feel at fault or that they failed - they come up with justifications.

    You can do this. Write your goals on a sheet of paper and post it where you can see it daily. Starting saying positive affirmations to yourself daily and get out the door. Getting out the door is literally the hardest part of all this.

    You can do this!

    ReplyDelete